Play Therapy Services

Does my child need play therapy?

Throughout their lives, most children go through difficult times, such as the divorce of their parents, trouble making friends, or adjusting to changes at school or home. Some children need more help than others to get through these times. If you or other adults in your child's life are concerned about your child's behavior, play therapy can help. It is the most appropriate treatment for helping your child work through difficult times and helping you gain a better understanding of what your child is going through.

The difference between play therapy and playing with my child at home?

Play therapists are specifically trained to provide an environment of acceptance, empathy and understanding in the play therapy room. Play therapy is not the same thing as playing. Play therapy uses the child's natural tendency to "play out" their reactions to life situations, in the presence of a trained play therapist, to help the child feel accepted and understood and gain a sense of control or understanding of difficult situations.

What is Play Therapy?

Learn More

What is Child-Parent Relationship Therapy?

Learn More


Play Therapy Services in Denton, TX

Through our two on-campus clinics, the Center for Play Therapy provides a variety of counseling services including:

  • Play Therapy
  • Group Play Therapy
  • Activity Therapy
  • Sandtray
  • Parent consultations
  • Child-Parent Relationship Therapy
  • Parent Training

To schedule an appointment for you or your family, or to request more information regarding play therapy services, contact:

UNT Child & Family Resource Clinic

UNT Child & Family Resource Clinic
(940) 565-2066

CFRC Website
UNT Counseling & Human Development Center

UNT Counseling & Human Development Center
(940) 565-2970

CHDC Website

Play Therapy Services in the Denton/DFW Area

We have collected a referral list of play therapists and agencies in the Denton/DFW area. See the referral list HERE.

Play Therapy Services in Other Locations

Find a Play Therapist through the Association for Play Therapy.

Association for Play Therapy