Skip to content
Founder & Director Emeritus
Garry L. Landreth, Ed.D., LPC, RPT-S, internationally known for his writings and work in promoting the development of child-centered play therapy, is a Regents Professor in the Department of Counseling and founder of the Center for Play Therapy at the University of North Texas.
Dr. Landreth is a frequent speaker at play therapy conferences around the world. His more than 150 journal articles, books, and videos include the recent 3rd edition of his award-winning book Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship, which has been translated into several languages. Dr. Landreth's other recent books are Child Parent Relationship Therapy (CPRT): A 10-Session Filial Therapy Model and the accompanying Child Parent Relationship Therapy (CPRT) Treatment Manual. His CPRT Model recevied the Parent Education Best Practices Award.
Dr. Landreth is Director Emeritus of the Association for Play Therapy (APT) and received the APT Lifetime Achievement Award and the APT Research Award. He has received numerous professional honors:
• Meadows Honor Professor Award
• President's Outstanding Professor Award
• Toulouse Scholar Award
• Regents Distinguished Professor Award
• American Association for Counseling and Development Humanitarian and Caring Person Award
• Virginia Axline Distinguished Professional Award
• Shelton Excellence in Teaching Award
• Texas Association for Play Therapy Distinguished Contribution Award
• University of North Texas President's Award
• Association for Specialists in Group Work Research Award
• Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Counseling Vision and Innovation Award